Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Vanity makeover !

Good morning everyone -

Well I finished it !  ( not waxed - but otherwise it's finished )


Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - vintage vanity


It's soooo difficult to get photos in a tiny space - I'm like an acrobat trying to do this !

I painted this piece in 3 layers.............( 4 if you count priming it ) but they were all very quick applications

Once I had primed it - I kind of liked that greyish color that comes from one coat of primer over wood
( those of you that paint furniture know exactly what I'm talking about ) those of you that don't paint furniture, it almost turns out drift wood ( ish ) looking.
Here's what I mean


So I gave it a coat of Paris Grey ( Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - all three steps ) and trimmed out all the edges with Pure White - sloppily actually - because I did NOT want a pristine look for this piece.


and then I made a " wash " using French Linen / water ( half - half or so )
I brushed the wash on - and then rubbed it all over with a paper towel - until it looked like this


and then I used a white wash right after - before it had dried -


Make sure your cloth is damp for this process so that the paint can soak into other layers................
And rub it all in until you're content with the results -
This is only paint - if you've used too much, you can simply add more of the darker color - not enough and you can add more of the white................

The end result was exactly what I was going for - aged layers of paint and washes.


I had this applique on hand and decided to add it to the middle drawer on top


Doesn't it look like it was meant to be there all along?



Chalk paint, paris grey vintage vanity




Painted bedroom vanity

This didn't come with a bench - I have a couple in storage but for now I just grabbed a tiny one I have here after I painted it Paris Grey

Painted vanity using chalk paint


and then I placed a faux sheep skin rug on it ( IKEA 14.99 )


and that's it !
transformation complete !


I can't wait for the little ones to see it - it's in " their " room after all



Have a wonderful day everyone !
I'm, once again, having computer problems - took me forever to upload the photos to this post -
Have to call my son-in-law over for supper LOL

Much love,
Me

Looking for inspiration?
Join me at these fabulous parties !!!

Between Naps on the Porch                                                Coastal Charm
An Extraordinary Day                                                         Kathe With an E
Homestories A to Z                                                            Savvy Southern Style 
Beyond the Picket Fence                                                    DIY by Design 
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson                                         From my Front Porch to Yours
Ivy & Elephants                                                          The Dedicated House
A Vanity Makeover                                                           French Country Cottage
Too Much Time on my Hands                                            Glitter Glue &  Paint
My Turn for Us                                                                  My Romantic Home
Miss Mustard Seed                                                            Funky Junk Interiors
The 36th Avenue                                                                One More Time Events
Life on Lakeshore Drive                                                     Avery Street Design
It's Overflowing                                                                  I Should be Mopping the Floor
Uncommon Designs                                                            Distressed Donna Down Home
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia                                       A Stroll Thru Life
Stone Gable                                                                       Classy Clutter

54 comments:

  1. Love it. It does look like it is suppose to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely classic lady in her gray and white. Love this style vanity with all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really turned out great - love the color. You are so talented and everything you have done in your new home looks terrific.
    Have a great week Suzan.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you ever part with your creations? I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another amazing transformation... such a beautiful vanity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out beautifully! Your bedding looks so pretty in the reflection too!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Suzan! When I saw it, my response was "that's stunning!". Wow. You've done it again, girl. Come paint my dining room table, please! :-)
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is beautiful, just as I expected it would be!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow-Suzan-It looks just great! Perfect and much better than before. (I know some wood lovers out there are steaming)...but this color combination fits this piece perfectly. Love it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the details on this piece are amazing. Beautiful job Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful as I knew it would be!!!! The Princesses are going to love it, I can just imagine their delight when they see it for the first time!!!! Wish I had just a little bit of your talent!!! Have a blessed day!!!! XOXOXOX Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen - I can't wait for them to see it !
      I don't have much talent - just sheer determination - anyone can paint furniture - trust me
      XOXOXO

      Delete
  12. It is gorgeous, but then I knew it would be:) love the color and the technique you used, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rhonda - this one was even more enjoyable to work on because I get to keep it !!!
      XOX

      Delete
  13. It's gorgeous, Suze! I really love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous - so worth all the drama it took to get it upstairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I would have broken out a wall to get it upstairs I think Marie !!!
      Thanks so much
      xox

      Delete
  15. Sometimes I think an antique piece should be left alone, in it's original state. That was what I thought about this vanity when you first posted a pic of it. I was wrong!!!! I can't imagine it any other way. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Lynn - that's the biggest compliment you could have given me - thanks SO much!!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. It looks amazing in grey! I love how the white brightens everything. The applique is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE!! And thanks for including all the steps so that I can try it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfectly finished. It's a keeper, don't you dare sell it, unless to me, of course : ). Patty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Only 2 words for you Ms. Susan. Absolutely Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew it would be fabulous! Love the grey and white and the aged look. And that little applique does look like it has been there all along. It is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous. I bet your little grand babies will have a fun time playing dress up with this sweet piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your vanity turned out so handsomely! Love your whitewashing technique--thanks for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a classic looking vanity.. Love the legs.but then I've always been a leg girl. Love the grey and white we used that applique on our china hutch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful piece Suzan. Love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - it looks so pretty in the first little guest room !
      xoxo

      Delete
  25. So pretty Suzan! I wish you'd come paint my sewing cabinet for me. You'd know just what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It turned out just stunning! A great post Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OOO, my gosh...you are such an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very pretty and I love the e2 colors and your wash! The appliqué looks perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMD......that would be OH MY DROOL! That's absolutely beautiful. You did a fantastic job on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I may have to copy that Titia !!!
      Thanks SO much
      XOXO

      Delete
  30. What a labor of love... your attention to details definitely pay off here.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The little ones are going to love it! That sheepskin caught my eye, too. Time for a trek to Ikea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's gorgeous Suzan! As always you do such stunning work. Love the layering. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  33. So beautiful!!! The shape of the dresser and and curvy mirror are wonderful! Your paint technique really brings it to life. And how fun is that sheepskin covered stool...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, it's just gorgeous! I love how you have Frenchyed it up. The color and trim is just perfection. Fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, this is beautiful! The finish is gorgeous & it totally reminds me of the Restoration Hardware style. (That's a good thing in my book!) I'd love to have you link this up at the Found & Foraged party tonight- starts at 8 pm central time at www.averystreetdesign.com. Hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous! I love the lines and the castors on all the feet. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. OH my WORD, absolutely FABULOUS!! Love the colors and the wash you did, just pure perfection! You are going to enjoy this piece for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dawn - I WILL enjoy it for a long time ( or until I come across something I like more lol )
      XOXOXO

      Delete
  38. So pretty, Suzan. I love the technique you used. Pinning it so I can try this technique myself. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy - this is such an easy process !!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  39. Yay Suzan, so glad you linked up at Found & Foraged! I was happy to see this one. :) Have a great Thanksgiving!!! xo, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a lovely transformation!
    Thanks for linking up at the Talented Tuesday Link Party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. A lot of work, but it's a beauty....enjoy it!
    JP

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo