Sunday, May 4, 2014

ADDING MARBLE TOUCHES TO A KITCHEN ( AFFORDABLY )

Good morning everyone :)


Thought I'd share a brainstorm I came up with last week ( because what's a brainstorm if you just allow it
to rage through your brain all alone? )

So far the marble TILE countertops are holding up - I'm praying they do for a year or so until I can install a proper marble slab countertop
This solution cost roughly 300 dollars - a 10th of the price of a slab.

MARBLE TILE KITCHEN COUNTERTOP

But since changing a counter top is a pretty big job - there are other ways to incorporate a little marble into
a kitchen...................
Such as this round slab ( which is perfect for cheeses - or breads )
It was the top part of a small table I picked up on Craig's list for 50.00 - these are something I see on a weekly basis - check it out - a great cheap way to incorporate a touch of marble in the Kitchen
( Better yet - look for a coffee table - and incorporate the larger slab onto an island top )
Here's my former small table top turned kitchen slab ( it's quite large and perfect to roll out dough on )


You can add a dome to it for a little extra something-something


A marble mortar and pestle can be picked up very cheaply - I paid 12.99 for this one on sale a couple of years ago


Suzan says - Oh I didn't know we had baguette left !
Suzan says - Can I borrow it for a minute?
John says - WTH????
Suzan says - I just need it for a photo
John says - Leave me alone, will ya?  I'm making a sandwich
( a little verbal struggle ensued right after these words - hope you appreciate the next photo )


John yells - WHY'D YOU CUT IT THAT WAY???????????????
John yells - I'm so tired of this blog business, I can't tell you
Suzan says - Puh-lease - there's plenty left in tact for a sandwich
Suzan says - Why do you make such a big deal out of everything?
John says - BECAUSE. EVERY. SINGLE. THING. I. TRY. TO. DO. ENDS.UP.ON.YOUR.BLOG.
Suzan says - You're famous - everyone loves you - stop already !

It's not easy folks - ok - I ordered one of these also ( Amazon - for 12.99 )


But the next idea?
I so ♥ this !

When we laid our kitchen counter tiles - I bought marble thresholds to use as the backsplash - you know, that piece of marble you place between a bathroom floor and regular floor? ( and I thought THAT was genius ) If you scroll back to the 2nd photo you can see what I mean :)
They cost a little under 30.00 dollars I believe, from Home Depot

I had one left over


I also had a shelf that I had placed under the window - but it wasn't the right dimensions - looked like a lost soul actually
(The shelf was picked up at Home Depot for under 10.00 - it was natural but jointed pine so I painted it white)


I installed it by placing the screws right into the window frame


Then I simply placed the " threshold " on top of the shelf ( the weight of the marble prevents it from moving )
You could do this with brackets - you don't necessarily need a shelf ..............


I stood on the counter - spread eagled taking the next pic - John walked in -
Never mind - not repeating what he said
But I think I saw movement from my neighbor's window ( which is directly in front of mine )
Suzan says - OMG - I think the neighbors saw me standing on the counter taking photos
( as I jump off the counter with a thud - actually hurting my foot )
John says - CAN YOU STOP THIS???????????? CAN YOU PLEASE JUST STOP THIS?
John says - AND CAN YOU GET DRESSED TODAY?
( I wasn't naked - but I WAS in my nightgown - you don't need to know what time it was )
Suzan says - I needed to get a certain angle and -
John interrupts - They have small children you know - this isn't right
Suzan says - You make it sound dirty - I'm just taking photos of my marble shelf

I thiink they may start plastering photos of ME all over the neighborhood - warning kids to stay away.

But look how pretty the marble shelf looks lol


I had to stop at this point - and wash the sink - it's not easy blogging you know.
( this post is going to kill me )  but I want to show you how the marble just rests on the ( too small ) shelf


And that, my friends, is how you do marble on the cheap !


( and have a place to keep flowers or herbs in the summer )
AND THE GREATEST PART OF THIS 2 MINUTE PROJECT IS.......................
It's perfect for renters - simply take it down with you when you move ( a little spackle will take care of screw holes ) an instant touch of glam for your kitchen ( or any window for that matter ) that doesn't break the bank!
I own this house - and it'll be going with me when I move as well :)
Total for this was under 40.00



Ok - that was one exhausting post - going to take a nap now - I'm in my nightgown after all.

Have a great Monday - add some marble to your kitchen or something :)

( give to me your marble - take from me my lace ♥♪ )

Hugs,

SHARING AT THESE PARTIES !
Between Naps on the Porch                    My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia                Stone Gable
A Stroll Through Life                              Coastal Charm                                            Kathe with an E
Homestories A to Z                                Not Just a Housewife                                  Homework
The Winthrop Chronicles                       The DIY Dreamer                                        DIY by Design
Savvy Southern Style                             Adorned from Above                                  Ivy & Elephants
From my Front Porch to Yours              The Charm of Home                                   Redoux Interiors          French Country Cottage                        Shabby Art Boutique                                   My Turn for Us
My Romantic Home                              The Shabby Nest                                        Funky Junk Interiors
Under the Table & Dreaming




43 comments:

  1. Dear John ~ yes, you ARE famous, and appreciated by many of us out here in blog-dom! I hope your sandwich was wonderful!

    Dear Susan ~ I think your marble shelf is brilliant ~ very unique and cool-looking!
    And as long as you weren't nekkid ~ppffffftt for the neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing my head off at you standing in a nightgown in a window taking photos! The shelf came out really nice. I have had similar marble accessories for many years, and they have held up really well. The marble rolling pin is great for rolling out dough. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, You had me smiling all the way through this post..... tell John, that he is kind, generous and wonderful and that we all appreciate his patience. Thank you for all the hints and tips about marble, they were brilliant ideas.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Best wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea I am so stealing that! I have also been wondering how that marble slab for the bathroom would do as a backsplash...in my kitchen. I may be going to Home Depot today...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Next time I'm in Home Depot I'll be looking for marble accents. John is famous. He cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really do find it all Suzan. I have to be a little more fastidious as I roam around Home Depot.... gotta spot these sweet additions and possibilities.
    What is it about men and bread and how it has to be cut....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I wonder if there is a blog out there showing this new crazy neighbour in her nightie standing in the window? You just never know who has a blog!
    (Love the marble ideas)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, Suzan ~ love that you can set flowers/plants on the shelf in front of the window. PS We do love you John (but we love Suzan more)! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the smiles this morning Suzan!!
    Kitchen looks great! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good to me, is the pool ready?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your decor ideas Suzan. The marble ideas are really wonderful and cheap. I picked up a finished square of granite at the local hardware store for $3.00 to use as a cutting stone or to set hot dishes on. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. I appreciate your tips. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks beautiful, Suzan. You come up with the most great ideas, my friend, (and a good laugh too).

    Hugs from here

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tell John we love him and we hope he enjoyed his sandwich! You don't know how much I wld love to have your kitchen in place of mine. I know you are waiting to complete it, but mine is really, really ugly. Love you tip, thanks for sharing! Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have discussed marble. So far, it's just discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading your blog just makes me smile big time. Love reading the "words" between you and John. Altho, I don't have a blog of my own, My husband (of 50 years this week) would react the same and then roll his eyes for emphasis. Little bit of attitude.(grin) But gotta say...your counter top is GORGEOUS! I love that shine......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha....John is such a good sharer! Love your marble countertop and yes, the slab is genius, along with your herb shelf!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me at 'affordable' Suzan! I'm a sucker for marble too and I have most of the stuff you've shown here, it's just so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So just tell John you're not losing your marbles, your finding your marble!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Am I the only one who reads the double entendres in your posts? You heart your pestle? Really, Suzan! At least you have found your marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your marble touches..... The baguette looks delicious. Tell John 'thank you' for me!! (You are so lucky to be married to a celebrity!) :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea--what a great way to dress up a kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love marble too :) I have a marble tile floor in our upstairs bathroom and it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the ideas! heading to Craigslist right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so funny - love your posts! Love your marble from a CL table - would make a great lazy Suzan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am mad for marble and can't resist a cheap marble fix. I hoarda marble door sill that my grandfather took out of a store 50 yrs. ago. I've had it for at least 20 years and have never been able to find a spot it would fit. Someday I will! The window sill looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Funny Suzan. Your husband sounds like my husband. Love the marble shelf. I had wide, lovely marble window sills in my Florida home and LOVED them.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Clever!! I think being your neighbor would be a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Suzan you are a genius! What a pretty shelf! I think you do your best work in your nightgown!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the shelf - fantastic idea! Also loved the story - as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. John is wrong about one thing -just this one John - you need to not change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is a great idea! When I am out thrifting or picking I always pick up scraps of marble to sue as cutting boards or as displays in my shop. Now I will be looking for a long piece for a shelf! Thanks for the inspiration. I'd love for you to link up to this weeks Be. You. Tiful Link party live on Thursday. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So, I totally understand how John feels, I get it every time when your silly little wine glass is melting sparkles all over the pictures on your blog I'm trying to see beyond the glitter, LOL!! It's a funny little frustrating feeling that is combined with being tickled by your vibrant personality and outrageous funniness!! Your blog wouldn't be the same without that annoying little champagne glass and I wouldn't change a thing about it!! LOL!! Imagine how dull John's life might be without you! PS- I wish I was your neighbor....-I'd just climb up on MY windowsill and wave to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the first person to complain about the wine glass lmho !!!
      I'm a magpie - I love sparkles and glitz lol
      Now that would be hysterical ( you climbing on the windowsill and waving !!!
      XOX

      Delete
  34. Hi Susan. This is my first visit to your site and I am so happy to have visited. I too can spend an entire day in my pjs. I love your marble shelf and you are right the threshold as a backslash is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traci - so nice to meet you !!!
      It's awful to stay in pj's but often I paint my furniture in them LOL until summer anyway when I switch them out for paint splattered shorts of course :)
      Thanks so much for your comment on my threshold xoxoxo

      Delete
  35. Hi Suzan, John does crack me up but I'm very happy he had enough bread left for his sandwich. By the way, the piece left over was a pretty big piece, he will have to watch that waistline, LOL. I love this idea and that window is just gorgeous. I wanted a vanity I found online for our master bath. It had t he same bar system and looked so European. I was so happy and then by the time I could place an order for it, gone. I was so upset but the house was not locked up yet. Such is life, right, moved on and found another one but I still wanted that hardware, darn it!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loving all the marble goodness! haha Love the baguette photo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful! Perfect cost too, and yes tell John I love him and I love that he makes his own sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Suzan, you never cease to have me laughing. And you're right, tell John he is famous, I know I love the interaction with the two of you. It sounds like he's getting a little frustrated...his wife on the counter in her nightgown must have been quite the view for him. lol
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is an incredible thought! When I am out thrifting or lifting I generally get scraps of marble to sue as cutting sheets or as showcases in my shop. Presently I will be searching for a long piece for a rack! Much obliged for the motivation. I'd love for you to connect up to this weeks Be. You. Tiful Link party live on Thursday. Sticking. Lynnwood Quartz Contractors

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo