Saturday, February 1, 2014

Stone Fireplaces

I LOVE them - I love the warmth they bring into a space - and I think any time you can bring in natural elements into decor - it's a good thing.................( think branches - which John hates lol )
Son't you love the sail boat?


source

source
source

source
source
http://www.decoist.com/2012-10-08/40-stone-fireplace-designs-perfect-for-homes-from-the-classic-to-the-contemporary/
source
source
source
source
source
I LOVE all of them -
As you know - this house has a stone fireplace - and I DON'T like it - ( sorry Cheryl - but I really don't - and after 2 months I'm not " warming " up to it either- pun intended :)
It looks like the " poor " cousin - a sad wannabe of a stone fireplace - and in turn it makes me sad every time I look at it................it just looks like a bunch of jagged rocks sticking out of cement haphazardly.

I even got permission from the previous owner's artwork to change it up a little
Since we've had the floors redone in a dark ebony it looks even sadder.


We thought of changing it completely - but that's a huge job - and not really in the budget when there's
so many other things we want need to do.............and I did want to keep the natural stone somehow

OH NO, YOU'RE ALL THINKING - SHE WOULDN'T ...............................

Yes actually, she would - and even started - and if it doesn't turn out like I'm hoping - then we'll change it completely :)



We had a brick fireplace in the last house - red brick to start with - veneer brick to be precise - and it looked horrible with the natural 100 year old exposed brick on the walls - I suppose the previous owners wanted to keep a theme going - but it was a huge fail -  so I painted that white too and it worked.
Beautifully.
( John fought me on that one tooth and nail - so I did it when he was sleeping one night - stayed up the entire night painting it - it took 4 coats if I remember correctly - and he loved it )


So I'm praying I'm making the right call here.....................because its not that easy to do
( well it is and it isn't if you know what I mean - those crevices aren't easy to get into ) and I think there was half a century of grime and fluff and dust in there. It'll be clean if nothing else !



Oh the weather outside is frightful - but the fire is so delightful........................Christmas song but it'll
do in a pinch lol

Have a restful - peaceful Sunday all !

Much love,
( I'm feeling better today - thanks so much for all of your kind words - most of you have been there - done that so I know you get it - I think exhaustion has crept in to be honest with you - absolute exhaustion )  So I really took it easy yesterday - laid around a lot - painted at a much slower pace - played music ( my go to therapy - and it works every time )
AND we have our cruise in March - I have to hold on to that thought on the rough days :)

Giant hugs, ( now where did I put that paint brush? )
♥♥♥




24 comments:

  1. I think painting it is a wonderful idea. Slap a serious mantel piece on it, hang something gorgeous above it and you will fall in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just come from your previous post and want to tell you that the grass is always greener, (when you can actually see it, that is!). Case in point: it took us almost 10!!! years to build our home, (in case you didn't know), and in the process, there were major 'cheesecake' MEALS, except mine were baklava, (a sweet fix to wipe away the salty tears), and savoury spanakopita, (spinach and feta pie to dull the anxiety of deadlines when all I had was dilemmas and no decisions in sight!). So, stay sane, get on a train to the city, (as opposed to me getting on 3!!! PLANES to another country!), get your culture fix and return to your countryside home-in-the-making, like the current lady of the manor, that you are today! Anyway, you're only one month away from your own 'sailboat' serenity!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those fireplaces, but you're right, yours does not look that pretty. Can't wait to see it painted white. Stay warm, my friend. Glad to hear that you are feeling better today. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear you're feeling better today! I love that you're painting the stone....it looks much more like you! Can't wait for the reveal.....Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I think your gut feeling is correct. On Pinterest I'm obsessed with that white Swedish look, and I think that is how they would of handled the stone if they were not a natural shade of gray. The peek you gave, looks great!!!! Brick is a little different, but I have two brick walls on the sleeping porch. There was now way I could afford for anyone to sand blast, besides the risk of fire. I tried several paint colors and they looked hideous. I finally decided on white and it was perfect! The flaws just seemed to disappear with white! You are making amazing progress! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very modern style home (very boxy) you'd hate it. But we have a fireplace (no mantel) I want to stone the entire 18 foot fall it is on but my husband is against it. Will you come help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Add stone veneer all the way up to the ceiling, add veneer around the sides of the fireplace and top piece, get a chunkier mantel. Like the idea of painting, it just may look a little bit too stark with that cold white color when you're finished? Perhaps you could get it to look sort of "lime-washed?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the person who built the fireplace must have run out of stone. I know whatever you do to it, it's going to look a 1,000 times better. The one in your previous home was gorgeous!

    I'm sure you are exhausted! Don't know how you've done as much as you have. Take some down time and rest.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it'll look great! I love English fisherman's cottages that are made of stone and then painted white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzan,
    Your visions are always right on! I think it will look beautiful painted. I know you will accessorize it beautifully too when it is all done.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am with you on this one my dear,,,,white paint makes everything look better..that fp was sad mow it will be happy happy happy.....i knew you wouldn't give up ..rest when you can do something fun..go outside and make a pile of snowballs and pelt john with them when he comes out lmbo xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We once lived in a house where the front was fake stucco rocks that were painted brown with white painted grout. Looked like a herd of giraffes were skinned and the skins slapped on to the side of the house. It was hideous!!! I was so happy my husband painted it white and it actually looked good. I think your fireplace will look great painted, too!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see what you mean, Suzan. And I think painting it white is the way to go. The rocks are really jagged compared to the other images you showed. I suppose you could have taken a grinder to them and smoothed them off. NAH! Maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the fireplace painted white will look really good. So glad that you are feeling better. Your body was telling you to slow down and smell the flowers. You need to rest girl, you can't do everything at once. Take care of your self.
    Have a great week and keeping think about your cruise and it will be time to set sail.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. We put stone on our fireplace....not crazy about it, but I think as I get the room the way I want it with art and such, it won't stand out so much. I've painted numerous fireplaces....you go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure it will be beautiful painted white. We have a stone fireplace in our family room and the thing I really don't like about it...is that it has a stone mantel, which is very ugly. Hubby has been planning to replace it with a wood mantel and that won't come soon enough for me.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Suzan!!!

    .....But my dear it's so delightful!!!!!!

    The pictures are beautiful!!! I love river rock!!! It's my favorite for a fireplace!!! I love your living room, you sure did a great job!!! And when are we going to see the reveal of the "New" fireplace?

    I'm so glad you're feeling better!!!! We want a happy Suzan, but, we're here when you're not.

    Have a stupendously great week!!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think painting it is a great idea! I have helped 2 of my friends paint their fireplaces and they looked fabulous! I'm thinking about painting that rock exterior on the front of my house...I hate it. I'm so glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you - painting it will work so much better. And aren't you going mainly white in the decor? So it will work beautifully.
    And now that you kitchen and bathrooms are in working order, you can slow down the pace and enjoy the process of making this house "yours". It doesn't have to be perfect and finished by a deadline, does it? No wedding taking place, no magazine photo shoot (yet), no Queen visiting? Take your time and enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I first saw the fireplace I didn't want you to paint it. But your right it does look much better. I am glad you got some rest and feel better. And I know after your cruise you will feel totally recharged. 3 days till my furniture arrives so I am working hard to get the house ready. I really hate when people offer to come help and don't show up. I have really found out these last few months who I can count on and who I can't. My body is so sore, God give me strength to get through the unpacking and moving. hugs Tobey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Honey, as long as you're happy. My attachment to natural stone fireplaces goes way back to the stone cottage that my grandparents had when I was a child. I LOVED that place. I still have dreams of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well a wise woman (Danni) once told me that it's better to ask forgiveness than to be told no LOL Ive had brick walls in two of my places and didn't love them I think the painted fireplace will look lovely. It's okay to take a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Before I saw that you were painting it. I thought - NO - She is NOT going to pull those stones out and re-arrange them! LOL! Phew! I think you are doing the right thing by painting it white. Can't wait to see it completed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It will look fabulous if it's anything like your past work. You just seem to have that flair about you!!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo