Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A small console makeover


I've had this small console table a long time - ( I searched for a mate for it forever because the dimensions would have been great for end tables - I LOVE large end tables in a bedroom )
It was in terrible shape when I got it - it had sustained water damage and the bottom veneer was literally falling apart..................I think this may have been the first piece that I actually performed surgery on.


It was black until a week ago - when I decided to put the secretary that was there in the living room -
but a black piece of furniture against a black wall was a no - no
And you know how it is - the paint was out and I was walking by - and the next thing you know it was getting a quick makeover on my way to cook supper.  Annie Sloan Pure White.


The next time I walked by it - I sanded the edges and painted the inserts Paris Grey
And here's where I'm fighting with myself - do I show  you what I did next?
Or do I just keep it to myself and pretend it never happened?
Nah - lets overshare.

Sometimes I get this notion that I'm an artiste and when that happens I get positively dangerous - furniture should run away from me screaming in terror at this point -

This is so embarrassing - really this is just so embarrassing and the strangest part is you'd never have to know about it.............why am I doing this to myself?
It looked like a pair of socks gone bad.


Ok - that's all your going to see - notice I didn't watermark it?
I kept imagining John's reaction when he saw this but he was strangely silent LMHO
The the next time I walked by I painted the inserts Paris Grey again.


And who knows?
The next time I walk by it I might just paint the inserts white again.........................or just get rid of it entirely because I'm sick to death of it already !

Later that night

John says - Why didn't you leave the diamonds on the table?  I liked them !

There's no accounting for taste
And besides, he likes argyle socks................

Before


After




And we'll just ignore Mr. Inbetween .........................

Have a great day everyone
Hugs,
Me



LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES !

ELIZABETH & CO.                                                  FLUSTER BUSTER
MY SALVAGED TREASURES                                       DIY BY DESIGN
IVY & ELEPHANTS                                                HAVE A DAILY CUP OF MRS. OLSON
FROM MY FRONT PORCH TO YOURS                      COMMON GROUND
I GOTTA CREATE                                                          THE CHARM OF HOME
FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE                                   THE SHABBY ART BOUTIQUE
THE SHABBY ART BOUTIQUE                                     TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS
MY TURN FOR US                                                         MY ROMANTIC HOME
MISS MUSTARD SEED                                                  THE SHABBY NEST
SIMPLE NATURE DECOR                                             ONE MORE TIME EVENTS
LIFE ON LAKESHORE DRIVE                                      IT'S OVERFLOWING
I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR                        UNCOMMON DESIGNS
DWELLINGS THE HEART OF YOUR HOME              COASTAL CHARM
BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH                              SAND & SISAL
CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT                        A STROLL THRU LIFE
KATHE WITH AN E                                                       AN EXTRAORDINARY DAY
THE DIY DREAMER                                                       THE DIY SHOWOFF
HOMESTORIES A TO Z

30 comments:

  1. The argyle look wasn't as bad as you think! But you can't go wrong with white and grey in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! I love the two-tone paint. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great size and I love the white,,, the diamonds were lovely all shabbied up and faded like that,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it sans the diamond pattern. :-D I have to tell you that first picture of it where you can see the kitchen and stairs is just so amazing! Especially knowing what you started with. I know the house is doing you in, but if you could see it through your readers' eyes, you'd be like, "oh wow"! You may have a long way to go but oh girl! You've come a long way too!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started laughing my head off when you said your dear spouse was strangely silent. It was kind of British or "Alice" with the diamonds and hearts, sort of like cards. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is a cute piece and I like it as you finished it last the best. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzan,
    I did not think the argyle was all that bad. Love it now it looks pretty awesome.
    Have a great week.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well,sometimes we just have to experiment.It is a nice piece and you did finish it great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene - not sure about it yet lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I really like the change. I'm happy to see that you have painting mistakes. Sorry it makes me feel better. The chocolate buffet I painted in the dining room is going to get redone. Since I did it I haven't been happy. I have so much furniture to paint. The fact that it takes forever now makes me drag my feet so to speak

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I will say that looks really nice now! You did a good job on it. Did you notice how on that top insert that when you painted the diamond in there the point going down automatically turned it into a heart? You could have added a spade and a club and called it "card table"...snicker-
    HAD you left it and said you loved it- John would have chosen to hate it----but you already know that! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, mercy me...I AM SOOO IN LUV...you KNOW how much I love your John and now...this adorable piece is a real rival for my love....I adore the pearl gray.
    One of my friends is having trouble on what to do on her fireplace and if you will kindly let me send you an email photo of it, maybe you can help me tell her what to do with it. Is that ok..?
    You are such a wonderful decorator and designer, you were the first I thought of to get advice from. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you can enjoy it after all your mishaps. I think it's perfect just the way it is. By the way...I love your stairs. Thanks for sharing at VIParty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked it in black, but I love it in white and grey! It is gorgeous against the black wall! I love the vignette on top as well. Just curious...what is the basket for labeled Us & Soda? I would think mail...but then again I don't imagine Soda gets mail...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it painted white with the gray...so pretty!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. GOGEOUS!!!!!!! Love the wall color and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fits the spot perfectly and looks great in white or with the grey panels. xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  17. That piece is getting bigger by the moment with all that paint. Eventually it will be too big for that wall. I loved it before during and after! I actually stole that from my brother in-law who saw my living room painted twice in one day....that was about 15 paintjobs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally love it the way it is (as of this post) it looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it Suzan! The grey and white together is so pretty. I actually think the argyle was kind of fun. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the cabinet looks great and it fits perfectly in the spot by the stairs! Your argyle "in between" version reminds me that I still need to repaint a hatbox that I transformed from some Christmas scene a couple of years ago. I thought it would look great in white with fleur de lis design. It does NOT. Gotta do something about that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn !
      Go take care of the hat box - times a'wasting lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  21. What a nice transformation... it really looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your black & white theme!
    I hope you'll find the time to link up with us this week:
    http://milaslittlethings.com/2015/04/idea-box-thursday-link-party-5.html

    xx
    Mila

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your newly painted side table - it looks so happy to have a home now. I liked the sock inserts too.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I totally like the two tone look. I think grey may be my new fav colour... after white of course!
    Thank you for linking up this week at Shabbilicious Friday. We love everything your do Suzan xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! I'm like that, too. I think about a project and 1 minute later I'm taking my first stroke of paint to it. I love how you stacked your awesome mirrors vertically over it. Pinned it to my most popular Pinterest board, "Shades of White and Gray". My peeps will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words AND the pin !
      xxx

      Delete
  26. Hope you can stop by Fabulous Friday again and share more of your very unique posts... love the console that you shared at my last party http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/fabulous-friday-party29/
    Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo