Thursday, February 5, 2015

Black Kitchen Hutch !

Good morning everyone !

After I had painted the black cabinet for the den HERE  - and fell in love with it - I decided to go for it in the kitchen since it's black and white themed anyway ..................

Black Hutch

I heavily distressed - but only on all the edges


John says - I hope you're not going to start painting everything in the house black
Suzan says - We have nine rooms - surely we can have a few pieces of black furniture?

But his will be the last piece for me in black - although I may do a set to sell because I love how dramatic it looks !


I didn't use ASCP for this piece - instead I made a home made chalk paint to use as a primer

3 parts black latex paint
1 part Plaster of Paris

You make a paste with the plaster and mix it into the paint - it worked beautifully as a primer
And then I gave the entire piece a coat of Rustoleum CHALKBOARD paint - and finished that with a coat of polyurethane ( I may put another coat since it's in the kitchen and will get heavy usage )
The " cousine " looks a lot better in person that it appears in photos - I know it looks busy next to the wall paper in these pictures - but it doesn't when you're actually in the kitchen !


I used an electric sander for the edges


It gives " substance " to the kitchen ( if that makes any sense at all )

I know it's not for everyone - being so dark and all - but it really does work in this space

Black painted hutch


This piece has had so many makeovers -
From Painted White


To Chicken Wire


To wallpapered


But it originally looked like this when I spotted it in the Salvation Army for  $37.50 ( years ago )


It's come a long way  (baby) UPDATE - DO NOT TAKE NOTE OF COUSINE - I SPELLED IT WRONG LMHO !
SHOULD BE CUISINE - ( a quick fix thankfully )
THANKS LILIAN - I OWE YOU ONE !!!!!!!!!!!



I have a giveaway coming up next week - stay tuned ♥

Much love,
Me


LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION?
JOIN ME A THESE FABULOUS PARTIES !

THE CHARM OF HOME                                        FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE
MY TURN FOR US                                                 MY ROMANTIC HOME
MISS MUSTARD SEED                                          REMODELAHOLIC
FUNKY JUNK INTERIORS                                   THE 36TH AVENUE
LIFE ON LAKESHORE DRIVE                              I SHOULD BE MOPPING THE FLOOR
UNCOMMON DESIGN                                         BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH
MY UNCOMMON SLICE OF SUBURBIA           KATHE WITH AN E
ELIZABETH & CO.                                         SAVVY SOUTHERN STYLE      
BEYOND THE PICKET FENCE                            IVY & ELEPHANTS
FROM MY FRONT PORCH TO YOURS             THE GIRL CREATIVE
WORTHING COURT                                             AN EXTRAORDINARY DAY
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS                     THE SHABBY NEST
KATHERINE'S CORNER                                       CHIC ON A SHOESTRING DECORATING
REMODELAHOLIC                                               ANDERSON & GRANT

57 comments:

  1. I really like it!! Esp. the heavy distressing... just how it should look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful in black, I'm surprised you used chalkboard paint! I'd like to know how you find black pieces are to live with? I have a couple of very very dark blue pieces (almost black) and find they look dusty quicker than other furniture. (Maybe it's just my lack of housekeeping)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous and you did a great job on it!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how little you spent on that. It is really nice in black and gives some weight to that wall. You did a beautiful job on it Suzan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cousine / cousin / cuisine who cares - it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stupid me. I thought you were referring to this kitchen piece as a cousine ( relative) of your black piece in the den. You had me fooled. Don't lots of folks in Montreal speak French? 😜 Linda @ Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, Suze! That poor thing had a bad case of the uglies before you saved it. I'm trying to decide which I like better between the black and the white! xoxo, T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love this piece. Did I say LOVE??? The distressing looks great. Sometimes regular paint is the way to go. Love what did on the glass and I don't think it looks busy. Okay, one more time LOVE

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know me, I'm all about the black furniture.
    Add another row of letters. Poutine. Then it will say COUSINE POUTINE. That's some type of official sounding phrase, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just when I thought I couldn't like it more than before, I do! I love your hutch in black!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hutch makeover! I think something dark in a room, preferably black distressed, can really ground a room and give it substance. Contrast is what seems to draw me. I've tried all white and I love my white pieces, but they work better for me if the walls are a mid-tone colour. Poor John, one day he'll get it. I thought you knew a different word than I did, yes, that is how bad my french is! xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful in black. Especially with the white walls. OMG love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you meant cousin too. Haha. Too funny. I like it in black but I love black furniture too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks wonderful,love the back,you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marlene - ( time to take a refresher course in my French lol )
      xox

      Delete
  15. Wonderful job on your hutch. It turned out great.
    If you put Island to go with your Cousine you will have the Cousine Island which is located in the Indian Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely.
    Thanks Lillian for the pick up. I was about to start checking alternative spellings due to country difference. :P

    I love seeing the evolution of your furniture. I get in trouble if I want to move it, let alone change it's colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it...it is a beautiful black swan :) and I am glad that you fixed "cuisine"...I have to admit I was wondering about that until I read to the end of the post, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julie !
      I'm really embarrassed about the cousine - I shouldn't be making mistakes like that
      ( I live in Montreal for crying out loud lol )
      xox

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous....black furniture is my LUV......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suzan, Outstanding! Such a striking piece now. Just love it. May have to copy this one. I did a small china hutch with Linen Service on the Windows, painted in white with soft aqua inside for outside the guest bathroom for extra towels but I love your wallpaper idea. Keep up the great posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thanks so much Erin !!!
      Soft aqua on the interior sounds gorgeous !
      Have a great weekend
      xox

      Delete
  20. It looks fabulous! Love it in black. Black and white are my favorite lately! Have a happy Friday Suzan...:) Oh, I ordered one of the mattress toppers and it should be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait for bed tomorrow night. I hope it's as comfy as I think it will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your piece in black and the distressing looks great.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really was wondering about "cousine" and while reading, I was pondering if I should ask you in the comment or if it would be rude to ask about your choice of words. After all, you may have a "cousine" you wanted to honor on your hutch... I think "cuisine" is much better on your gorgeous hutch, though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have just recently 'found' you I love your blog. The majority of our furniture in our cottage is recycled and painted. The Hutch is simply stunning

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know...every time I see that cute paper in the back of that hutch, I have regrets! LOL! Your hutch looks great. I have enjoyed using black in Jacobs room, but I haven't really tried it anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Cousine"...I thought that was a place where French people "Mange". I questioned it, but I would never have known the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I, too, love black painted furniture. Yours is stunning. The Cuisine is so much more vibrant in black than is white. Good job. Keep 'em comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The beauty about pieces we find at great deals, it is easy to change your mind and style. I love it in white and black. But either way the wallpaper in the background is a keeper.
    If you go for a third round I vote for a deep costal blue.
    Barbara Ann
    etsy.com/shop/barbaraannscreations

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha, I was wondering if that was just a different way to spell cuisine? Lol. Love it in black! Very dramatic AND perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love that all the details now stand out more and the use of the wallpaper in the inside is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It came out really pretty. It looks like you put the glass back in. John probably liked that. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so talented! It looked good in its previous finishes, but the black is definitely the best. $37.50??? Amazing! Looks like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is just so gorgeous Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful makeover! Thanks for linking up to The Vintage Inspiration Party!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Susan, it looks just beautiful! And, I love the wallpaper backing! Thanks for sharing! Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hehehe....cousine. I thought maybe it was for your girl cousin. :P It's lovely in black!

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think the hutch is gorgeous. It is one of those pieces that you might pass up in a thrift store but what a gem when painted! Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous transformation Susan! Love it in black, it definitely stands out more. Ciao!
    Happy Valentines Day! ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christine !
      Hope you had a Happy Valentine's day too
      xox

      Delete
  38. Gorgeous as usual!! I probably would have passed right by this at the thrift store. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did - except it was extremely sturdy - and had the most storage !
      Thanks so much Christy !!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  39. I'm a big fan of black furniture and I love it! I'm glad someone told you about the spelling...I was wondering! Happy Valentine's day to you!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really like the black... even more than the white! The white wallpaper really is perfect with it too!
    Thanks so much for sharing your makeover with us a Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just love the black and white combination - so sophisticated! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow you did a wonderful job my friend. ♥ Please tell me you shared at the hop today ( you can link up through Sat midnight) xo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful! Visiting you from Katherine's Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks amazing...you are so talented...thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop! Please stop by to enter the very special giveaway on http://www.over50feeling40.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the paper in the back! It looks amazing and ties the whole thing together so well. I am obsessed with refinishing furniture myself. I just send my husband fishing when I start painting! lol
    (Visting from the Katherine's Corner hop)

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo