Monday, June 9, 2014

What I'm working on now

This room did not show well at all - it was tiny and drab but I knew it had tons of potential
Here's the seller's MLS photo


The carpet was the first thing to go - it was very old and dirty and smelled quite terrible -
However once the carpet was lifted we were left with 2 layers of even older linoleum - and there was a fur like substance on the backing of the last one - which had to be soaked and scraped repeatedly just to get down to the ( already ) painted wood.


With John yelling and cursing that we've made a HUGE mistake buying this house through the entire process.
I may concede with him on that - but I'll never concede to the fact that this room didn't have potential.

Once the fur was removed we were left with a white gooey substance ( I suppose glue ) you can see some remnants of it in the below photo - the entire floor was covered in it!  Again scraping and washing was in order


and finally it's ready to paint


But first the walls had to be addressed - as tiny as the room was I still wanted color in there - this is going to be a guest room ( for teeny tiny people ) so I wanted to make it as welcoming as possible.

I'm not sure if I ever posted about this but when I painted the upstairs landing it took me 3 tries to get the right shade of blue - which means I have 2 gallons of the wrong blue


One of them is perfect for this room  ( or has to be because I'm not playing that " blue " game again - you all know what I'm talking about - it's very similar to the " grey " game  lol
Here's the window wall painted - it's a soft powdery blue which changes as the day progresses into quite a rich blue.


 believe it or not that window took longer than the whole room - there was at least 50 years of paint on every pane - I don't get people that paint old windows and don't scrape the panes clean of excess paint afterwards )
A few coats of paint - a LOT of scraping ( this house will eventually be scraped down to kindling since it seems to be what we do the most here )
And voila, a charming little country window tucked under the rafters


I love that it opens inside the room  ( like my little kitchen one HERE ) so perfectly vintage for a window don't you think?



It's a tiny window so there won't be any need for window treatments on this - but you know that view I posted last week?  It came from this little window - sometimes I put the paint brush down just to take a another glance !  Hmmmm - should I do it?  Should I post another pic of the outside?
YES !  I really can't help myself at this point - I'm addicted to my back yard LOL


I'm telling you I can't get enough of it ( which is rather unfortunate for you I must admit )


Then I turn around - stifle the vomit - and continue scraping and painting....................
Should be able to start the floor in the little room tonight !

Have a wonderful Tuesday  day all

I'll be at these parties - come join me !!!
Savvy Southern Style                                     The DIY Dreamer                           DIY by Design
From my Front Porch to Yours                      Katherine's Corner                          Glitter Glue & Paint
French Country Cottage                                Redoux Interiors                              My Turn for Us
The Shabby Nest                                          DIY Vintage Chic                            Remodelaholic
Life on Lakeshore Drive                               We should be mopping the floor       Uncommon Design
Between Naps on the Porch                         I Gotta Create!

36 comments:

  1. Oh the room has heaps of potential, wait to you see what I found under my crapet, and no thats not a spelling mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be sorely tempted to drop the paintbrush and hasten to the backyard and that inviting pool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Susan! You just have a knack for making anything look absolutely pretty! I don't want to put a damper on your renovations, but reading your article about all the scraping, don't you have a fear of finding asbestos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the room is really cute, the window is such a great feature, but I`m with Susan Oxenrieder, I would be in that pool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The window is totally adorable and its view is just beautiful. This room is going to be really sweet when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Window is adorable and what a beautiful backyard you have. Once everything is done in the house you will wonder what you worried and complained about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a fellow scraper VERY RECENTLY I understand how much work it is. It's the most tiring, least rewarding job there is. Except for scraping paint off of glass, that's easy! Why wouldn't people do it? It all looks great, Suzan, and I personally will never tire of shots of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Put down the scraper and go float in your pool, woman!
    Enjoy it now before it's an ice rink!
    That's a sweet little room and I love the window. What great light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOw what a warm little hide away....The back yard is beautiful....I agree with Tina...go float in the pool before the crackles come back...I read your post and get tired knowing how much work you have put into this place....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pool water looks so blue and inviting!! I like those windows that open like that... it's rare to find them though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a gorgeous little room & it's going to look beautiful...can't wait to see what you do with it. Thank you for your suggestion of planting a high flower or shrub to hide the oil tank pipes....what a great idea...going to do just that.
    I need to pic your brain on what colour(s) to paint my "new to me" corner cabinet to house my stoneware...any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to prime it first...and the dishes are off white & dark pinkish-red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much Charlotte !
      I'm coming over to your site with my 2 cents - because you're a no reply blogger!
      XOX

      Delete
  12. Heck Suzan I'd have a tough time being indoors scraping floors with that beautiful pool within steps. I see an air mattress, a good book, a margarita(s) and catching some rays from that view! Looking forward to seeing the transformation of this room. But seriously, I hope you're taking some time to step into that view from the window ;)
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty!! The freshly painted room...and the view!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Le sigh..... I don't think we will get tired of seeing your lovely garden and the French bleu chairs (nor John's yard sale scores). Beautiful, serene blue. I can hardly wait to see your floors! So sad you had such an icky mess to deal with. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, this house is certainly turning into a labour of love. But when it's done, its going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really don't know about stunning - but it's going to be night and day from when we bought it lol
      Thanks so much Heather!
      XOX

      Delete
  16. You have been working so hard! Isn't it wonderful? The first spring in a house with wonderful garden. Getting to see everything come up and finding out what you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, that backyard! Love all the pictures...keep them coming!
    And your petite room...I cannot wait to see the transformation. Yes, this house has been a lot of work BUT it has character ( unlike the one John wanted...I remember ). It's going to be perfect someday and you can heave a huge sigh of relief and relax. Hang in there, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's such a cute room with that sweet window in it. I can't wait to see the makeover when it's done! P.S. The blue is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the sweet wreath on that cute window...and the view out that window is just beautiful. Your backyard is so pretty!!
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking good. But I love the look of the back yard!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are definitely a trooper Suzan but it really is a pretty room! Your backyard amazes me everytime I see it. You should post a picture a day!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one cute window. Love the view, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is one great window and love the fact that it opens in too. What a view that little one will have. I can't believe how people let theirs homes get, gross with a "G"!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok..first the view........ahhhhhh. :-) Love the teeny room and the window that opens in and please don't change the handle on the window - please, please, please.
    To be honest, Suz, I didn't see what you saw in this house but you and John are turning it into a most charming cottage. Will you stay there when you've finished or is this a temporary stop in your real estate story? It's such a drastic change from your city home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keeping busy is good. People that have nothing to do age faster :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the window Suzan! It's very pretty. And so is your pool and garden... Yeah, yeah, we know you have a pool.. and we don't.... HA! Seriously, your pool and yard look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so impressed with your vision...and your talent, but mostly your level of energy to accomplish it all! Can't wait until the reveal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So much vision and I know you will turn it into a gem! Thanx for partying at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cute bedroom! L.O.V.E. the window. And your backyard is to die for! You're husband sounds like a wonderful man - good sense of humor. You are truly blessed! Have a great day - and enjoy that yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon !!!
      John is a wonderful, kind, giving man - but we are polar opposites LMHO - so life is never boring to say the least.

      XOXO

      Delete
  30. You do have a wonderful backyard my friend. Your new and improved window has the perfect view too. Excited to see what the rest of the room will look like when you are done.Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo