Saturday, May 17, 2014

Our problems are solved !!! ( Plus a DIY Faux Boxwood Wrreath )


source

Soooo........................budget does not allow us to go any further until the fall - September to be precise
which is really rather depressing - ( as you know I have a very very difficult time in the waiting department )

Now I haven't had time to check emails very often with everything going on - but thank God I took some time out yesterday - really - just THANK GOD

Here's what I received.................

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Western Union Beneficiary,

Your funds transaction of 1,500,000.00 USD has been approved by UNITED NATIONS
(UN) in their on going poverty alleviation program 2014 and we have been instructed to start sending you 7,600.00 USD daily using our Western Union system. Send details Full Name, Address, and Phone Number to Helen Kuan at: Email:  xxxxx.com
for more information on your transaction status OR call our 24 hours Helpline +601-126-433-169 for any inquiries.
Yours truly,
Sophie Cheetham

Western Union Malaysia

________________________________________________________________________________




And since I believe I could live very comfortably on 7,500.00 a day - I'm going
to let a lucky participant have the chance to win 100.00 a day ( until it runs 
out )
You just have to let me know what you would do with a hundred a day to qualify.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.................


I've been wanting a square boxwood wreath ( or 2 ) for some time now - but 
they're costly - and spending that kind of money on 2 wreaths could buy me 
flooring for the mud room ( and more )  so I just can't justify it.............
( not until I start collecting that 7500.00 a week anyway )



source - Amazon 297.00

MINE - FOR 2.00 EACH

Dollar store, DIY square wreath, Garden



I had a vague memory of something I once saw at a dollar store - for a mere 2.00 each.Not as large as the 20" X 20" and definitely not preserved boxwood but ok for what I wanted them for - which was to use as OUTSIDE decor




Dollar Store Projects




Plastic boxwood " tiles "  - 12" X 12"

I simply turned it over and cut along the grid following the square shape - 








flipped it over - and I had this perfect little square boxwood wreath for next
to nothing - being plastic it's probably even better for outside.
you could make the " hole " in the center smaller and the foliage wider obviously 
Dollar Store Decor




I'm going to be hanging a slew of these throughout the garden - MORE IS MORE
is my motto lol ( or if you prefer, O.V.E.R.K.I.L.L. )








The possibilities are endless 



DIY garden decor - cheaply!


They'd also make perfect centerpieces for an outdoor dinner party - 

Square glass candle holders work beautifully ( think of the different things you could fill these with besides candles )



DIY Dollar Store Table Centerpiece








A couple on each end ( or better yet an entire row of them ) 
With a white table cloth ( or sheet ) these would make an elegant setting



Dollar store table settings



Or of course you could go far more casual and use mason jars or tin cans - 
This is big bang for your buck ( or 2 ) don't you think?
And though they may be just a teeny bit tacky - tacky is perfectly acceptable foroutdoors - especially at twilight or evening when the lighting is dim 

And at the end of summer you can bring them in and save them for perfect 
Christmas wreaths !!!



Something tells me I'm into something good ♪♫♪




I think I'm going to make a double wreath for the front door
Then I'm going to the dollar store to clear the shelves of these completely
( so if you're in Montreal and can't find any, now you know why ) 
Donna you're safe - I won't be going up to Quebec City!


And then I'm going to reply to that email - and start the ball rolling with my 
anti poverty win 

Have a wonderful Sunday all - 


Visit the dollar store soon ♥

Much love,









I'll be at these fabulous parties !
Three Mango Seeds                             It's Overflowing                        Redhead can Decorate
Uncommon Design                               Between Naps on the Porch     Stone Gable
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia         A Stroll Thru Life                     Kathe with an E
An Extraordinary Day                          Savvy Southern Style               Bloom Design
The Charm of Home                            French Country Cottage          My Turn for Us
My Romantic Home                            The Shabby Nest                     Remodelaholic
Pieced Pastimes                                  One More Time Events            Nifty Thrifty Things
Life on Lakeshore Drive                     Under the Table & Dreaming
Homestories A to Z                            Homework Today's Assignment
Not Just a Housewife                         The DIY Dreamer
Gingersnap Crafts                              Adorned From Above
Bloom Design Online                         Ginger Snap Crafts
Funky Junk Interiors

44 comments:

  1. Suzan, they are cute! So what if it they are faux. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well congratulations! I'm glad the UN has finally realised who's really in need, I shall expect a similar email any day now. Failing that I will happily take you up on your offer :-) The list of what I would do with the money (any money) is so long I think I'd probably bore you into giving it to someone else!!
    I'm very jealous of your dollar stores, we do have Poundland and 99p Stores but they just aren't the same. Don't get me wrong I've picked up some bargains but they don't have the range of things you seem to get. Maybe I can get the UN to persuade them to move over here to alleviate the need for cheap laurel wreaths?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzan, that is such a great idea. Looks so pretty! I would run to the dollar store and purchase them all ASAP……………..cause one day they stock them and then you go back and you never see them again. Have a great day!

    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. What a great offer from the UN. How did you manage to luck out on that? I can't even begin to list what I'd do with $100. a day let alone 7,500 a week! Oh, And there's a nice piece of land for sale near us next to the river that floods every spring. Want to move closer to me? Haha. (It's true! you could build a house on stilts) I like the boxwood wreath idea. You are so clever. I haven't seen those here but did see the grass patches that are only about 6 x 6 inches. Too small. I'll be checking out Dollarama this week. Happy Victoria Day to you. Enjoy. It's a rainy 3 days here for us. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. With $100 a day I'd hire someone else to do all the work that needs to be done around here. Luxurious! And maybe a bottle of fine Chianti. Your wreaths are cute! Plastic is fabulous for its drought resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh- Yes- I got a similar email and posted about it not too long ago. I offered ALL my readers a free vacation villa next to my own (once I got paid)---but my offer was MUCH higher than YOURS! lol So---if you need MORE money than $7500. a week let me know-cuz I will certainly offer it to you once I get MINE!

    Love that idea. I HAVE to get to the Dollar Store-before you are buying them by the truckload. A little "tacky" or "tatty" (as I like to say) is fine for outside! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I have yet to see these are our dollar stores but when I do I am going to get one now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you'll share your winnings with your home girls. ;)
    Cute ideas for the faux boxwood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading your posts ALWAYS brings a smile to my face.

    Good luck collecting your winnings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Suzan, I would save that $100 a day win and buy something special at the end of the month, making that dollar amount work better for me!
    As for you good fortun LOL !
    I hate when I get these, who would even send them off the information to deposit into ones account...Fraud alert !!
    But for that one moment I always say to myself...wouldn't that be nice!

    Love this post, as for the boxwood. We have an hardware store here OSH! orchard supply hardware... At the holidays in their garden center area sold the preserved boxwood square wreaths and a large one was the 20x20 size was under $80.00
    Perhaps next year you could get online and see if they are available ?
    In any case yours is a close second, and what a creative thought to cut out the centers.
    Thank you for this share...

    And thank you for your faithful visits to my place. Always enjoying seeing a comment from you!

    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those Suzan and I actually prefer them to the one on Amazon! I have never seen those around here, but I will be keeping my eyes peeled for them now. I'm a tad jealous! Have fun with your newfound fortune...lol! And...have a lovely Sunday afternoon!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are amazing!! Never in a million years would I have though of that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, if you want them bigger, you could connect them first with straps and then start cutting ? I think you can make them any size you want this way.
    Big hug from Antwerp !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if the email you got will make you rich, but your square wreaths might!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh let's see, for $100 day, I could move to the farm a lot sooner! Like this summer instead of three years. Ha.
    Love your wreaths...I think they are perfect. Great for outdoors and love all the ideas you came up with. And I know what you mean about patience. I lack in that department as well! I like things done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I know I am totally going to win that hundred bucks a day. I can hardly wait until you announce that I have won! But before you do that, I just had to tell you a what a genius find your boxwood wreaths are. Perfect. Until I am rolling in it....Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are so cute! I'll be checking my dollar store to see if they are available here. Looks like a lot of bang for a buck! Very creative and congrats on the big win (wink, wink)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It must be knock off a way overpriced item today and do a better job day. I like yours better than the amazon one but I think I really like it as a centrepiece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! What a great idea and great photos. I need to go to dollar tree.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I'd leave a nice long paragraph telling you in detail but....The dollar tree is calling!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are awesome. You are always so clever. Did you get these at the dollar tree. That is the only dollar tree we have. I am keeping my fingers crosses.
    xoxoGinger

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your wreath is gorgeous and multio-functional is good! I hope you win that money! LOL! Maybe you could solve my problems too! I love it when you craft Suzan and I'm terribly jealous. I've made nothing in months. I haven't even opened the door to my craft room...it's overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm jealous of your UN email, all I ever get are Nigerian Princes sending me money! HAHA For $100/day I would definitely have my feet pedicured and my nails manicured - and a much deserved Swedish massage every day! Wouldn't that be heaven having a Swedish massage every day? Ah, a girl can dream! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in the dollar store every week and I haven't seen these, but I have to drive into the city tomorrow and will check out all the dollar stores I see on the way and back. I love your wreaths they look great. IF I could win 100.00 a day I would get some much needed things done around my house. I have already done so much, but there is so much more to be done and to little $$$$$.

    ReplyDelete
  25. YOU ARE BRILLIANT! I'm making a bundle of these! Featuring you on facebook and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an awesome wreath you've made for so cheap! I'll be on the hunt for these $2 squares of greenery. How easy and clever! :-)
    Blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving the square wreaths! And so versatile! I'll be on the lookout for them, so just don't come to NJ and clean out all the dollar stores down here! With $100 a day, I could buy lots of these squares, and sell them for twice the price!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm terribly glad you have been lifted out of poverty by the UN. Perhaps, when your money starts rolling in, you could donate your boxwood wreaths to someone who is still living under the poverty level and unable to make that kind of investment. I believe I will go look for those at my dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a good idea....now I just have to see if I can find those around here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for the laugh this morning Suzan - I needed one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are darling! I need to keep my eyes out at the dollar stores!! Thanks for posting. I love the pictures of the different ways you use this!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are such a GREAT idea!!! I love, love, love boxwood, it is my favorite by far. I would run to our dollar store but John said no more items will fit in Audrey's basement. So I will wait, sigh.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Suzan,
    With a heart as big as yours, you deserve the UN windfall! LOL Of course, with your creative mind for saving scads of money like with your boxwood wreath knock-offs, you will really stretch that windfall to its max. Great idea for the wreaths....

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Suzan,
    Too funny! I received the same email, so apparently we are both in for a huge windfall! Love your frugal boxwood wreaths and the double hung version is so pretty.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

    ReplyDelete
  35. And just think, I have been deleting those email all these years! These are SO pretty & thrifty :) Sharing on FB today, thanks for linking up to Inspiration Monday!!

    xo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  36. So cute! What a great idea! laura
    Would love for you to link this to my Friday Favorites going on now! xo, laura

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice! Wow. I can't believe how nice yours look and for SO much less!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Totally cute!!! I love all your ideas for using those sweet square wreaths, too!
    I'm wondering, Suzan, what did you do with the little squares you cut out? Or is that an up coming creative idea too!!!!

    Thanks for sharing your creativity with us a Project Inspire{d}! Now I can't wait to see what you bring to the party on Monday night!!.

    ReplyDelete
  39. $100 a day would be so much,I am so used to budgeting,I don't think I could spend it :)
    Love the idea of the wreath. Very uusual

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'll gladly share your new found wealth. But in the meantime, I need to make some of those boxwood wreaths. So simple and so beautiful!
    ~Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh yeah, I've received a few (or more) of these emails. The thing that's upsetting, is some people respond and get sucked in! I've heard a few stories on the news of (mostly elderly) getting taken and what they go through afterwards.
    Great idea to create your own almost $300 wreaths for next to nothing! Will anyone notice they aren't the real thing? But, so what if they do...they look fabulous and will do what you want them to do for a fraction of the price the stores charge. Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. So clever!!! I would have never thought to try this in a million years. You are so creative! Thank you for sharing at Redouxinteriors!

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo