Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I WANNA live there Wednesday # 68

WELCOME TO I WANNA LIVE THERE WEDNESDAY -
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A SERIES ON REAL ESTATE FOR SALE - MOSTLY IN MY HOME TOWN OF MONTREAL - WITH LOTS OF VISITS HERE AND THERE TO SEE WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE - SOMETIMES IN N.Y. OR NEW ORLEANS - OR PARIS - OR............ANYWHERE ACTUALLY!
I CONCENTRATE ( FOR THE MOST PART ) ON HERITAGE HOMES - HISTORICAL BUILDINGS WITH DETAILED ARCHITECTURE.
SINCE THIS IS A SERIES ON THE HOUSE ITSELF - AND NOT THE WAY PEOPLE FURNISH THEM - KINDLY KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN LEAVING COMMENTS -I WOULD NOT WANT A HOME OWNER TO COME ACROSS THEIR HOME ON MY BLOG AND READ UNKIND THINGS ABOUT IT ( I WAS ONCE CONTACTED WITH THANKS FOR SHOWCASING SOMEONE'S HOME - SO IT'S POSSIBLE )  IF YOU'RE INTO HOMES WITH A HISTORY THIS IS A SERIES YOU JUST MAY ENJOY - THANKS SO MUCH FOR VISITING THEM WITH ME
___________________________________________________________________________________


Happy Hump day everyone :)

I really wanted to go abroad today but with one thing and another ( like a newly discovered leak in the dining room ) it looks like we're stuck in Montreal again this week -

BUT - I did find a beauty- ( excuse me I have to go empty the plastic bin - be right back )

Ok - let's get out of this hell hole house of mine - and dream - and while we're at it we may as well dream of the city - it's going on 3 months since I've moved from the core of it - and the longing is not going away any time soon I'm sorry to say.

In Montreal a Duplex is not a side by side house - it's one on top of the other - we owned a duplex prior to the last house - and rented out the apartment upstairs (oh the stories I could tell you about the one of the tenants - LMHO -  I believe they're like this in N.Y. too - and if you've never seen the movie " Duplex " with Drew Barrymore and Ben Stiller - do so this weekend - seriously funny and eerily similar to what we went through ! )  This is not a home where the upstairs has been converted - but built originally to house 2 families from the start.  They were typically owned by one family ( or person ) with tenants - today due to such high costs of owning a duplex, most are being sold separately ( top and bottom ) with both owners sharing the cost of taxes - and any repairs that need to be done are done together, reducing the overall costs greatly and making city living a little more affordable.

I'm explaining this because sometimes I'll mention a listing as an apartment - but what it really is - is an upper or lower duplex that's for sell  ( our last place was a lower duplex - we went from owning a whole duplex - to a lower duplex - to this disaster - don't ask ) but you can see my " lower " duplex
HERE - we may end up moving into someone's basement for finish lol


THIS is an Upper Duplex for sale - e.g. Apartment ( because these buildings are so old - they are very solid and usually very sound proof )


Again this is in Westmount - steps from Downtown Montreal ( although when you step inside you could be in Sweden )

699,000.
3 bedrooms - 1 bath
1300 sq. ft.
Built in 1900
2 Separate Entrances
Realtor  MARTIN ROULEAU




If you look at the floor you can see where the room was opened up - wonderful idea in this case -
and just loving those windows -





this next photo shows you how gorgeous the room is opened up - with the full wall of windows





don't you just love those radiators?





an antique fireplace in a walk in closet?  well - never thought of it before - but Yes Please !!!



One of the bonuses of selecting the " upper " when purchasing this style of home is that the roof belongs to you - and are often converted to roof terraces



Given the choice of a high rise apartment or this type of apartment - I'd choose this in a heart beat - there's such a home-y feel to it - and this just makes it the more sweeter


Do I wanna live there?
I most certainly do - first of all this is in my old neighborhood - and secondly I'll never stop missing the


don't you love the artwork on brick???

would it work with S U B U R B I A - on beadboard do you think LMHO..................

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone - I have to call someone to check out that leak.
( not the one in my brain for buying this place either )

xoxo

Partying Here !!!
Common Ground                                 The Charm of Home                       French Country Cottage
My Turn for Us                                   My Romantic Home                       The Shabby Nest
Coastal Charm                                     Stone Gable - the Scoop                 Savvy Southern Style
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia          Between Naps on the Porch

22 comments:

  1. So pretty. The fireplace in the closet??? Maybe in the bathroom but I'd be afraid that my clothes would get smokey or dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....what a beautiful place! Love, love, love the Windows and the exposed brick! And the view isn't too shabby either. Thanks for sharing....:) And good luck with the leak!

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice spot! Love the roof terrace! Did you notice they have that zebra flooring in their kitchen? But it doesnt't seem too bad... I want to say this house will grow on you and you will love it once spring comes, but somehow I'm sensing that's not gonna happen.
    But anyhoo, you crack me up most mornings and I go to work with a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is too bad that they couldn't have made that bedroom work with the fireplace visible. I bet it was the only place they could fit a closet.

    Great home though. Love the white.

    I am with Beth, sensing the house isn;t going to grow on you. Maybe we will see you moving back to Westmount in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice place, but not for $699,000 with one bathroom. Are you within walking distance to the metro? Sounds like you need to get a good dose of city life in for a day -- go meet some friends and go shopping and eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the exterior was fab, but the interior blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy seeing the successful combination of contemporary furnishings and old building. The CITY artwork on the brick is great. You are going to have to find a gigantic beadboard wall on which to display your SUBURBIA. It's a big word. That may turn out ab fab though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredibly beautiful! I love minimalism. Just a few furnishings with well chosen accessories is all you will ever need. Wish I had a brick wall, I would use that CITY or SUBURBIA in a heart beat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot that is most wonderful about your new home is buried under several feet of snow right now! This summer- when you are picking a fresh tomato off the vine and topping it with herbs that you grew near your patio, I promise there will be a different song playing in your heart. "There's No Place Like Home" You're getting there, and it will be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been TOO long since I last visited. You moved! I am so sorry to hear that you are missing the city. And, that your new house has a leak. Oh my. Are there any silver linings?

    And, as usual, you've provided a beautiful pictures leaving us all daydreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been in an upstairs/downstairs duplex, but if it's soundproof, I think it'd be cool to rent one out and own the other. I'm not sure I'd like sharing taxes and repairs...if the other person was spot-on and responsible about it, yes, if not... well, no. :)

    When we were looking for this house, we came across a verticle duplex that had been opened up into a single family home. It was just weird to have two of everything and symmetrically. They should have left it a duplex. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Suzan!!!

    I hope with all my heart that the leak is easily fixed!!

    Hope the rest of the week goes smoothly for you!!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again!!!

      Weird!!! Some of my comment is missing.....

      I LOVE, LOVE and YES LOVE the duplex and you know why!!!!!

      Pam
      xox

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry about the leak in your roof. Too much snow and ice I guess. This duplex is gorgeous! I grew up in an upstairs of a duplex and we had the attic that was like the outdoors in winter and the tropics in summer. No insulation! Our house had a twin right next door. We called our floor a flat. A duplex in Moncton that was side by side would be referred to as such.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about your leak! I hope it is easily repaired and that you have a warranty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the joys of owning a fixer upper :( Gorgeous tour though. I love how simple and clean everything looks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I like the outdoor getaway with this fun find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why am I under the impression that you are going to finish renovating your cottage, sell it for a good price and head back to the city asap?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could live there, oh yes! That wall of window is awesome...and it's so bright and airy! The little rooftop is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the place...but it needs some cozyness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the walk-in-closet with an antique fireplace! That may be the place where I can lounge around for hours, just looking at my collections while enjoying the cozy warmth. The apartment's location is simply spectacular as well. Even the pictures make the place like a winter wonderland. I'd definitely buy the place in a heartbeat, if I have the means!

    Lindsey McKenzie @ Buchanan LP Gas Co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lindsay !
      Love this apartment more than I can say :)

      Delete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo