Thursday, May 23, 2013

When my daughter told me she found a curbside table and had snatched it up - my first thought was
" good for you honey "  save the landfill - save some money .....................

And then she brought it to me - and I thought " oh oh - I've created a bit of a monster here - I mean surely there are limits on what you grab?


It has to meet with some kind of criteria before throwing it in your trunk?


Apparently not.....................oh my kid's have such faith in me

But after it was sanded and corners were glued back down it seemed a little more do-able


I painted it paris grey and white ( Annie Sloan always )
For the lighter part - I painted it grey first - then dry brushed white over all of it
For the darker part - I painted the grey - then went over it with graphite - and then took a damp cloth and
ran it along the table following the wood grain.................giving it a very " worn " look


this look ( in real life - probably not so much in my terrible photos ) give the effect of a zinc like finish


I discovered this technique once by accident - when I decided to paint something graphite and didn't like it.
I panicked and tried to wash it off - and this was the result.
Don't underestimate the power of mistakes - I think Einstein may have started off like this.................
( and he and I have a lot in common )


The beauty of this technique is there's no " rules " ( I hate rules ) too white? Slap on some more grey!
too grey? Slap on some more white! to white? Slap on some more grey!
Granted you have to know when to stop slapping or you could just go on doing it forever lol


Oh look - a book on Steve Jobs - you see?  I surround myself with geniuses.
But I prefer the photo on the back of the cover




a little better right?
I know it's not a look for everyone because
John says - well you made it look old again.....................


Random thought

Do you think Annie Sloan started this craze so that she could get people all over the world to paint all their furniture - and then in 10 years she'll come out with a product that removes it all down to the wood?

You all have a great weekend !!!
Much love,


Nifty Thrifty Things                                  I Heart Nap Time                             Homemaker on a dime
Keeping it Simple                                    Coastal Charm                                 Clean & Scentsible
Savvy Southern Style                              No Minimalist Here                          Shabby Creek Cottage
I Gotta Create                                        Beyond the Picket Fence                  Common Ground
French Country Cottage                         Becoming Martha                             My Romantic Home
One Artsy Mama                                   The Shabby Nest                              Miss Mustard Seed
Funky Junk Interiors                               It's Overflowing                                Uncommon Designs
Craft-O-Maniac                                     Not Just a Housewife                       Glitter Glue & Paint

46 comments:

  1. I think it's great. I think those legs are Regency,so maybe you have a real antique. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh maybe I won't give it back to my daughter then LOL
      Thanks Jeannette!
      XOX

      Delete
  2. Wow! Amazing transformation on that table. It came out beautiful. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Amy - John's hilarious lol
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything old is new again? (I think that is biblical!) Funny, looking at the comment above, I saw a piece of furniture on a blog that the restorer referred to as "mid-century modern". It lines are identical to your piece. When I saw it on the other blog my first reaction was "NOT mid-century modern"!! My former significant other had a dining room suite that had the same legs and lines. It was made by Thomasville in the 70s and was referred to in those days as "traditional". Any way you look at it, you took a nicely made piece of furniture and saved it from the trash pit. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cynical comment about the paint. We will just have to wait and see if t goes back to 'natural' timber.

    Love John's comment. It looks great, regardless of whether it looks old or not. at least it is pretty and usable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this effect its funny that good comes from mistakes but hey why knock a gift horse-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save!! It's a beautiful table and your daughter has a great eye like you now!

    Nicole
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is amazing the transformations that you can do with paint. The old/new/old table looks great. You know what, I've found also, that sometimes that I really like my mistakes when painting. The recreating them is the hard part for me.
    Hope you have a grand weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful as always, Suzan! Is your daughter going to learn to do this too? And I bet you're on to Annie's secret plan for future business! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. A piece can look OLD and it got that way in a hovel. Or a piece can look OLD and it got that way in a villa in some quaint European village. What you have done is replace hovel old with quaint villa old. And your kids are aware of your super power.

    Annie Sloan is doing R&D on a paint that will be available 20 years from now for people that want to paint their granite countertops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course I Tweeted Annie Sloan. I'm not even crafty, Suzan and you make me love her paint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Things change; trouble is I always hang on, hang on and then get rid of it just before it comes back into fashion or can be repositioned using a new trend or product...LOL C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful Suzan! I would love to have you share your makeover at our Simply Create Link Party that is going on right now. I'm sure my readers would love to see it too!

    Melissa
    redflycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking the same thing when I was painting the 7,689 spindles on 4 Windsor chairs: "In 10 years we'll all be stripping the furniture we painted. And I'll have to kill myself if I have to strip these chairs".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful lines on that piece! Your daughter has a good eye - came from Mom, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a good job:)Very creative
    Linking to bloglovin and now one of your followers.
    I linked with my three blogs
    joysnotepad.blogspot.com
    joysupsanddowns.blogspot.com
    willyouhearfromme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made the same 'oops' with some Old White, and it turned out fabulous! I used baby wipes *rolling eyes* as that's what I grabbed off my supply cart quickly! That table is ah.mazing, and just more proof of the power of chalk paint!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The table looks great. Love it.

    Have a nice weekend

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. The table came out great and love the story that goes along with it. Have a great weekend!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the table. Suzan, I too have thought about that paint plot! In spite of this I have painted everything too.

    Linda at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suzan there is a reason your daughter has faith in your abilities. It may not have anything to do with your Einstein-like brain though!! I think you did a marvelous job and now she'll be bringing you all her roadside treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That table looks great! And I don't care if Annie does come out with something to remove the paint - I've loved painted wood long before Annie so I am gonna love it long after too :) I think. I reserve the right to change my mind of course - I am a woman after all!! HEEHEE!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! I'm in the process of painting a nightstand in Paris Gray and Old White. :) You tell that girl to keep bringing in the trash....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am definitely stealing this look for my next project.

    Whatever happened with that other paint that you were going to start using? Did you ever try it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away Teri !!!
      What a compliment - thanks so much
      ( the other paint thing didn't work out )
      XOX

      Delete
  25. You always know how to tickle my funny bone, Suzan! lolo! There are truly NO rules with you, girl...that's why we all love you so, I think. hehehe! You did another amazing transformation, girl. You never fail to astound me with your talent! Have a fab weekend, cupcake!

    xoox laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're table turned out great. I love Steve Jobs too and you have an interesting take on Annie Sloan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SO much!!!
      ( you mark my words about Annie - it's a conspiracy - lmho )
      XOX

      Delete
  27. One of the dangers of faux painting is everyone brings you pieces to do over for them. And, I'm not talking paying customers either. Then again, you did just take a table that wouldn't bring $5 in a yard sale and make it chic! Don't you just love the zinc look? I do think someone will wind up stripping some of this furniture when styles change. Didn't we strip all that milk paint off pine furniture in the 60's? Remember Dip N Strip stores?

    ReplyDelete
  28. John and my father say the exact same words!!! Your daughter had a good eye, she knew you could make the table beautiful again and you did!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, I'm obviously not getting this shabby chic thing because I thought scrubbed up it would have been just fine -- isn't that kind of naturally worn and "antiqued" finish the fans of S.C. are striving for???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different methods out there- I wanted this to look more rustic - cheateau looking.
      My daughter is NOT into the white shabby chic look at all - so this is what I came up with lol
      XOX

      Delete
  30. I think it turned out fantastic!!! Your daughter just knew you would work your magic on it and make it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aged chic. I love it! Your daughter was smart to bring it to you. Will she now be taking it off your hands?
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the finish Suzan, it is beautiful, of course I love the old look!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. lol I've wondered who will be removing the paint when I finish something...because it all goes in cycles. That old table is fabulous!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. 'Tis aged, not old! Debbie above is right - I see my pieces in a different color hanging around the antique mall so several more coats of paint will not hurt. What happened to using the red?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful transformation

    Lisa

    Creative Raisins

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well done- you saved yet another piece from the landfill- whoo hoo.

    You definitely have a point about AS. In ten years or less no one will want painted furniture. Ah, the cycle of trends.

    But for now, aren't we having such FUN?????

    ReplyDelete
  37. It looks great! Love the front detail - she did good picking it up! :)

    Kristin
    Www.exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great table. I never find anything on the side of the road, much less anything so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That turned out amazing. I too have found that graphite is not my fav color but it just might become that now thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. that table turned out so beautiful. Great job! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo