Friday, September 28, 2012

I've been transferred!!!

A while back I did a guest post for Kaysi at Keeping it Simple - and the makeover I did resulted in this table


If you'd like to read the conversation that came out of that between John & I you can read it HERE

Anyway I have really been wanting to hone my skills ( or lack thereof ) with transferring images - and so had my sweetheart once again sand a table top down for me - I think this will be my official practice table for everything since it's very wobbly and we haven't quite figured out how to fix that lol

A while back my computer crashed and I lost some pretty important information - and one of them was a site that you can go to to make your graphic images that you want  to transfer LARGER - and I've been searching and searching for a month now -
AND I FINALLY FOUND IT TONIGHT - exciting stuff, right - tee hee

So I gave the table a quick coat of ASCP paris grey and went looking for a transfer that I wanted to use
( warning - this can take hours - really - very addictive site ) and found a graphic that I really loved
over at ( yeah, where else really? ) The Graphics Fairy - downloaded it to my desktop - and then skipped
over to BLOCK POSTERS - you can find it it HERE - they have clear precise foolproof instructions on how to enlarge your graphic by splitting it on to multiple sheets of paper.  I only needed 2 to make mine the size I needed.
This is what I ended up with


I cut the 2 edges so that they matched perfectly


With some graphite paper underneath

The next step is crucial -
!) Make sure it's very late at night and you are the only one up
2) Set your T.V. to true crime ( investigation discovery here in Canada )


and scare the crap out of yourself as you're working - the nervous energy makes you work much quicker I find..........................

Then you simply trace over the graphic ( I left out the picture of the grapes - because I think they would have ended up being the Grapes of Wrath for me, really, too new at this still )


and then filled it in with my never-leave-home-without-it Sharpie


Oh oh - now they're airing a segment on  Aileen Wuornos - and if you don't know who she is - good for you you really don't need to  ( If I don't start getting a little more sleep I think I may end up looking like her )
At this point you can mute the sound -




note to self
Self, you have to go over everything one more time - so the script is solid

I added a couple of scrolls - also from the Graphic Fairy ( it wasn't necessary to enlarge them )



This is not the finished product - but I was so excited to have finally figured out how to do this that I couldn't wait to show you all!!!

I hope this helps at least one of you - or am I the last person to learn this LOL?

Have a wonderful Friday everyone - and an even better weekend!
Big hugs -
Suzan






 

22 comments:

  1. Good job! I never would have thought of a Sharpie. I think I would have grabbed a paint pen...and then promptly made a mess of it dragging my hand through the paint! I did look for graphite paper. Good grief! That stuff is crazy expensive. Do you think carbon paper would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! Thanks for the link - I've needed to do this many times and couldn't figure it out. I've done transfers before, not this way. I've printed out the reverse image, coated the piece I was working on with blue (not white) Elmer's glue, brushed the paper on it and let it sit overnight. The paper pulls off in the morning and leaves the image intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Suzan, what a great job! This is beautiful. It's exciting to think of all the designs that one could use....

    As a Britophile, I'm definitely a fan of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" table (I'm actually wearing that on a shirt right now!).

    -Abigail
    www.PictureBritain.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahahahahaha! on the true crime stuff. Personally, I like a good ghost hunting show to truly scare the bejeebs out of myself when I'm alone. Day wasn't stressful enough? How 'bout some freaky tv programs to top things off? I complain about it all the time, but I do not stop watching them. There's probably a formal name for my condition.

    Nice work on the lettering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the weirdest thing is that I'm terrified of my own shadow - so why I would watch these sick sick shows is beyond me!!!

      Delete
  5. You are definitely NOT the last one to get this transferring stuff down. Your method seems pretty doable - but are you one of those super-talented artist who can draw and do calligraphy? Just wondering, cuz I'm not.

    Love your blog - your humor - and this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I'm the furthest thing you can imagine from being an artist Jeannie! I can't draw a stick figure!
      So if I could do it - literally anyone can!
      Thanks so much for your kind words - have a great wknd
      Hugs,

      Delete
  6. that's how I do it! Old school transfering paper and pencil. I actually used in the past a fine tip artist brush...if you like to take a look, this is what I did http://frugalaintcheap.blogspot.com/2012/07/wood-box.html
    Anyway, love sharpies too, and definitely would be faster with a sharpie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely not the last one to try this. I have the drop cloth to recover a chair seat and then do a transfer. Just a little intimidated by it at this time - but, I will get it done...Love the table .....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll just pin this whole post so if my computer crashes I can find that site easy.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only used this method once and it worked out fine. Mostly, I do Modpodge transfers and they are pretty simple to do. I'll check out the other site because I often have trouble sizing the piece I want to transfer. Thanks! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great Suzan! This is the same transfer method I have had to resort to. I just can't do the "burnishing" or the chalk transfer or even remotely indent the wood with enough force to leave an impression. I've tried it all and finally went to the office supply store and bought some carbon paper. What a lot of headaches that would have saved me earlier!!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even heard of " chalk " transferring, that's how clueless I am lol
      Hugs,
      Suzan

      Delete
  11. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing ~ and IF we're still around one of these days, I'm going to try it before the 2nd coming. I have so much going on right now I'm about to pull all my hair out!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan,
    watch out for it but I have a product coming in that will make this process So So So So easy!!!!no need to trace, and is designed for Chalk Paint™ all you need is a printer and our transfer gel!!!!!
    talk soon
    C

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day! I am following you now! I love this project. The transfer looks great! i cant wait to copy this on everything I own. I adore font on furniture and I think you did a fabulous job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the transfer! I love the idea of having a 'practice piece'...think I have something that will be perfect for that. It really would cut down on having to redo mistakes.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Suzan!!!

    I love this table!! Great job!! You do such great work redoing furniture. It's great to see somebody else who is trying new ideas.

    Thanks for giving us the push to try something new!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank YOU Pam - for always being so supportive in everything I do - wow - it's more appreciated that you can know
      XOX

      Delete

Due to a large amount of spam ( that I'm tired of going back to posts and deleting ) I'll be using comment moderation from now on !!!
Can I beat these spammers at their own game? Probably not - but I'm going
to try my damnedest !!!
xoxo